UPDATE: I defeated Donald Trump


On Monday, I wrote about my plan to strategically vote against Trump on Super Tuesday. As with many things political scientists say, it was a decision based in reason that I did not expect much to come of.

When I got to the polling place, I was asked which ballot I wanted, and it was somewhat surreal to hear myself say: "Republican." I could feel JFK spinning in his grave. I got into the voting booth and found myself face to face with this: a genuine Republican primary ballot.


I went through with the plan, and voted for John R. Kasich of Ohio (I did laugh at the idea of supporting Jeb!). On my way out I pledged to re-read Profiles in Courage to make it up to JFK.

This morning, the results show that my single strategic vote won Hartford, Vermont for John Kasich. And statewide, Kasich played Trump to a tie, as they will split Vermont's 12 GOP delegates. 

Not to call myself a hero, but this morning my neighbors woke up in a town that does not support Donald Trump to be his party's presidential nominee because of me. 

Now, the Republican party, and the country at large, faces an uncertain road ahead with the Donald. There are more questions than answers. Many in his party are now hoping for a brokered convention.

But I hope that my single humble* act is instructive to other Americans. Your vote matters. If you think, as I did, that Donald Trump will hurt America, do not be afraid to deploy your vote strategically, your town (and maybe one day your country) will thank you for it.

 (*as humble as any vote that is immortalized by two blog posts can be) 

Popular posts from this blog

Turnout for What?: An altogether different concern with field experiments

2022 Midterm Projection: Fundamentally Republican

10 Tips for Going on the Political Science Job Market